Located in Historic New Lebanon

Education

One Room Schools
 
Category:Educational Traditions

 In 1790's Horatio Hand gave a room of his newly built house in West Lebanon to be used as a schoolroom. The Shaker's at Mount Lebanon offered education to the townspeople in the schoolroom.

In 1818, when New Lebanon officially incorporated as a town, the leaders began planning for New Lebanon’s Central School system, and in 1819, a local school board was appointed, and the township was divided into 16 school districts with each district having a one-room schoolhouse to teach the children in that district. This was very forward thinking for a community that only a few decades earlier was wilderness and it shows the determination of the Town to give their youth the education needed to succeed in life.