In the 1850's Olive Hatch opened the Wyomonock Seminary in West Lebanon. The Seminary was a school for higher education for women. This was a successful school until 1867 when fire destroyed the building, which was Jesse Torreys Library. Most of the original books were lost in the fire. The Seminary was eventually moved to another part of town, property again donated by townspeople, but the school was never the same and finally closed.