Located in Historic New Lebanon

Commercial

Medicinal
 
Category:Commercial Traditions

The Tilden Pharmaceutical Company was founded in 1824 by E Gilbert (who learned the extracting trade from the Shakers) and Elam Tilden (a successful businessman). Additionally at one time Lebanon Springs was the location of one of Americas first Hydrotherapy Clinics.

It was located on the Boston-Albany turnpike (now Route 20) down the road from the Mount Lebanon Shakers. The plant began as an extract pharmacy using local herbs and progressed to become the nations largest producer of extracted herbal medicinal products.In 1961 it was sold to Textron Company, but the plant closed shortly thereafter.